Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Summary and Reflection of Module 3

During this module, we had three discussions involving three theories of education; sociocultural theory, student centered learning environments, and communities of practice.

In reflecting on my own practice in educating instructors at our college, I learned that much of my practices focuses on lessening cognitive load and trying to teach within instructors zone of proximal development outlined by Lev Vygotsky and his sociocultural learning theory. I do this by constantly integrating technology in the curriculum and lessening the need for instructors to focus their cognitive load on procedural aspects of how to do certain point and click types of trainings. I also found that I utilize the reciprocal teaching methods and the apprenticeship model by allowing instructros to take my seat during trainings as well as allowing them to focus on lesser tasks with follow up trainings until they can perform needed tasks on their own.

As for student centered learning environments, I am starting to wonder how this can be done efficiently without the use of technology. The discussion during this week was very well "attended" with many ideas, opinions, and thoughts about what value for these environments was most valuable over another (prior knowledge, authentic contexts, centrality of learner in defining meaning, etcetera). I started by saying that prior knowledge was most imoprtant but after reading most of the posts this week, I would almost say that they all have equal importance. For instance, authentic contexts are more apt to teach real life problem solving and application of knowledge in the real world. While prior knowledge is important, the experience and itself gives knowledge to build upon. This makes scaffolding (just in time) most important. Educators failing to scaffold students will likely continue to yield those that are ready for a test that measures how the district is doing, but likely not produce learners with a greater ability to problem solve.

In Communities of Practice, I reflected upon my work in the EDTECH GSA. I have thought about how our group has the characteristic of a common history (students and faculty in the EDTECH Program). In our textbook this week, one thing that really stood out to me was the effective community characteristic of an interdependent system. What is this system for the GSA? Well, I have realized the importance of faculty being part of the equation, after all, they are the experienced EDTECHYs within the program that can bring another needed perspective. They will guide our practices and help to shape the rituals that will hopefully continue after I graduate the program. Inclusion of Alumni in the group was reflectively a good idea because it will keep the older generation with the newer to allow us to all learn from each other beyond the classroom in a real life example. We are creating a network of professionals in Educational Technology that will share resources, provide opportunities, and hopefully evolve into an even greater association in the future.

Assignments in this Module
A Brief Reflection

Our assignments in this module were both useful and difficult. I had a great experience infusing a simple theory in rebuilding a lesson plan for the Blackboard Grade Center. I need to redo this workshop with newer faculty with the new approach of guiding their learning using an expert/novice apprenticeship model. Learners will utilize resources that will always be available to them to guide procedures while I can walk around and give specific advice in a situated context. This situated context is not only more productive for our faculty in terms of "doing real work" but also will likely yield in a better understanding and use of the capabilities within the Grade Center. The annotated bibliography, on the other hand, was more difficult. I should have attempted to focus my research on something with a little more ease rather than making it more applicable to my work. I was searching endlessly for online course design articles hoping to make some focused connections with the research. I did my best here, but need to relook at this very useful assignment that can likely be shared in the future with faculty at our college.

No comments:

Post a Comment